As far as purchases go, last week I received a new wheelset, fenders, bike computer, all necessary tools, tyres, rim tape, grips and chain. The bike is nearly complete.
When I purchased my new crankset, I bought a new front derailleur with it; it wasn't until last week that I had a look at it and thought to myself "How the hell do I attach this thing?". Spending a good ten minutes playing around with it and looking for an imaginary attachment for the derailleur, it turns out I have to buy a band on adaptor for it. Great, another item to put on the "little things add up" list.
I'll have a photo posted as soon as it's finished.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ROUTE
It seems when I break the news that I'll be leaving soon, the most common question asked is "what route are you taking", and my answer will usually go along the lines of "dunno, across the Nullarbor I guess...", usually getting blank stares as if I'm an idiot unprepared for this trip.
The fact of the matter is, I don't want to follow a set day to day route with set distances pre-organised before I even leave, where's the fun in that?
I want to take it as I go, planning the route one day at a time with a small goal in mind. i.e. Esperance, Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane. This is not to say I haven't done my research; reading through Journals, books and articles I've managed to develop a rough route around the country knowing what to avoid, and things to check out along the way.
I also intend to go to Tassie for a couple of weeks, and once I reach Sydney, fly over to New Zealand and riding there for a month. If everything goes as planned (which I haven't planned yet), I should reach Brisbane just in time for the national bike polo championships. (oh how sweet that would be)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
CLOTHING.
Gah, this is starting to annoy me. How much is too much, how little is too little. Bought some merino wool ice breaker thermals as my baselayers, one short and one long sleeved. Then I plan on bringing some thermal leggings, a windbreaker, waterproof jacket.. and maybe a fleece jacket too. (or perhaps buy a windbreaker with fleece lining, that is also waterproof!!! :O ). (the concept of layering appeals a little more to me though)
okay, heres a list so far.
1x ss merino wool thermal
1x ls merino wool thermal
1x casual shirt
1x thermal leggings
1x shorts
1x windbreaker
1x waterproof jacket
1x fleece jacket
3x underwear (6 days worth, turning inside out)
1x thick socks
1x waterproof socks
1x long fingered gloves
1x fleece beanie
NOTE TO SELF: THIS IS IN THE MIDDLE OF WINTER (be realistic!)
Then again... The guys who "crossed the ditch" (my initial inspiration for this trip), only brought with them one pair of thermals for the whole trip. (I'd also recommend you buy the book and not the documentary, then buy the documentary if you loved the book)

Me reading Crossing the Ditch by James Castrission during our tour to Esperance.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RADIO!
So previously I posted some radio that weighed close to a kilo, did a little more research and found something smaller which does the same job as the other. Freeplay Companion, charges via solar or dynamo crank, charges your phone, has a light and most importantly.. is a radio. (and weighs 200g)

At first, I asked myself, "WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU PUT A LIGHT ON A RADIO?!" Then I thought to myself... wait a minute, If I could somehow attach this beast to my handlebars, THIS THING IS A SOLAR POWERED BIKE LIGHT. (sorry I'm a little high on caffeine right now, so the Caps Lock is starting to become more prevalent)
So I could run a light during the day for greater visibility points. This is the swiss army knife of all radios.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
RACKS AND PANNIAHHHHHHHS
Would love to cut down the bulk and run single front panniers, and a drysack on the rear rack. From the looks of things so far, this ain't happening.
Currently, I have a topeak alloy rear rack which has held up pretty well so far. The front rack I intend on purchasing is the "tubus tara". My bike doesn't have mid-fork-rack brazeon's, so that's my only concern at the moment. If anyone has information as to whether or not the rack comes with fork adaptors, that would be greatly appreciated.

Okay after 2 minutes of google research I've answered my own question.

(another thing to add to list of "small things that add up")
Thats it for now. Ciao
No comments:
Post a Comment