Hi i'm Prawza and I'm a proud supporter of two minute noodles.
Its 2008 and it seems like last year's TEE exams were only yesterday, oh how fast this year has gone. I had plans for 2008, one of them was to ride around Australia solo, however this wasn't to be as my parents said "no" to the idea. I obeyed and 2008 didn't go as I had planned, but I can't complain.
So what have i done instead?
I've been at Uni, UWA to be exact. Currently studying Engineering/Arts and it aint too bad, through Uni you get to meet alot of people and learn new things, however I feel as if its almost a waste of time. I get through alright, I do my work, do my chores and get everything in on time but just don't feel the motivation to do anything. It's as if I'm in cruise control, following the daily chores of Uni life, wake up, eat some noodles, go to uni, go home, eat, study, sleep, wake up, eat some more noodles, go to uni, go home, eat, study, sleep. With 5 years to go in my degree, im struggling to find the motivation.
With these daily grinds however, there is one love in my life that makes this daily grind disappear. Uni is merely time that is spent in between my rides. I'm a bikeaholic. Way too much of my time is consumed looking at bikes, reading about bikes and riding bikes, when instead I should really be studying. I currently own 3 bikes.. and have a few frames lying about in the shed. I can spend a whole night looking at bikes on the net, and reading about the latest gizmo's and trends. When I'm at Uni, I find myself checking out other people's bikes during my breaks. As I get from A to B there are bike racks everywhere, and with rising fuel prices and summer coming around the corner, these are quickly filling up as I see more and more "fred's" around campus. I can honestly say, Perth is an awesome city in regards to its bike facilities, bike paths and drivers (though it may be debatable in some grey areas). One thing will never change though, Perth is bloody windy. Mounts Bay Road.. what can i say... its either your best friend, or worst enemy. I once caught myself reaching close to 60km/h going home on a tailwind, and have ended up 10 minutes late battling gail force headwinds. Rain hail or shine, i ride to Uni. Riding to me is a great time to think, it helps me release my stress, keeps me fit, saves the environment.. and has saved me craploads of money.
Anyway back to Judging peoples bikes, I don't really care what they ride, so long as they're riding a bike.. right?... well yeah, they're doing their bit for themselves and the environment.. but its still good fun checking out their rig's. I can't help but pity those on their rusty K-mart bikes.. and sigh when I see a $2000 bike locked up with a $2 lock, and laugh at people who lock up their bike via their quick release seat post.. then druel when I see that Cervelo p3 carbon. You get the drift...

Here's a pic of my bike in its naked stage of life.. If you ever see me, come say gday. I feel soo lonely in this windy city.
-Prawz
Its 2008 and it seems like last year's TEE exams were only yesterday, oh how fast this year has gone. I had plans for 2008, one of them was to ride around Australia solo, however this wasn't to be as my parents said "no" to the idea. I obeyed and 2008 didn't go as I had planned, but I can't complain.
So what have i done instead?
I've been at Uni, UWA to be exact. Currently studying Engineering/Arts and it aint too bad, through Uni you get to meet alot of people and learn new things, however I feel as if its almost a waste of time. I get through alright, I do my work, do my chores and get everything in on time but just don't feel the motivation to do anything. It's as if I'm in cruise control, following the daily chores of Uni life, wake up, eat some noodles, go to uni, go home, eat, study, sleep, wake up, eat some more noodles, go to uni, go home, eat, study, sleep. With 5 years to go in my degree, im struggling to find the motivation.
With these daily grinds however, there is one love in my life that makes this daily grind disappear. Uni is merely time that is spent in between my rides. I'm a bikeaholic. Way too much of my time is consumed looking at bikes, reading about bikes and riding bikes, when instead I should really be studying. I currently own 3 bikes.. and have a few frames lying about in the shed. I can spend a whole night looking at bikes on the net, and reading about the latest gizmo's and trends. When I'm at Uni, I find myself checking out other people's bikes during my breaks. As I get from A to B there are bike racks everywhere, and with rising fuel prices and summer coming around the corner, these are quickly filling up as I see more and more "fred's" around campus. I can honestly say, Perth is an awesome city in regards to its bike facilities, bike paths and drivers (though it may be debatable in some grey areas). One thing will never change though, Perth is bloody windy. Mounts Bay Road.. what can i say... its either your best friend, or worst enemy. I once caught myself reaching close to 60km/h going home on a tailwind, and have ended up 10 minutes late battling gail force headwinds. Rain hail or shine, i ride to Uni. Riding to me is a great time to think, it helps me release my stress, keeps me fit, saves the environment.. and has saved me craploads of money.
Anyway back to Judging peoples bikes, I don't really care what they ride, so long as they're riding a bike.. right?... well yeah, they're doing their bit for themselves and the environment.. but its still good fun checking out their rig's. I can't help but pity those on their rusty K-mart bikes.. and sigh when I see a $2000 bike locked up with a $2 lock, and laugh at people who lock up their bike via their quick release seat post.. then druel when I see that Cervelo p3 carbon. You get the drift...

Here's a pic of my bike in its naked stage of life.. If you ever see me, come say gday. I feel soo lonely in this windy city.
-Prawz
Great read man! We seem to all have the same approach, work/school/girlfriends/sleeping its all there to fill the gaps between journeys on the bicycle.
ReplyDeleteCome out to play Sunday I want to see the modern incarnation of your trackbike. Stickered up frames have a soft spot in my heart.
Cheers Red.
ReplyDeleteI'm not a big fan of tricks, apart from track standing, going around in backward circles and the occasional wheelie I cbf taking off my front brake and doing barspinz ahah. Just love going fast!
I'll see if i can make it on Sunday.
-prawz